Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Back to School

Yesterday morning I sent not one, but TWO little boys off on the big yellow bus.

Jake started first grade and Camden is in kindergarten!  They both got the teachers they (read: I) wanted.  They wore their superhero tee-shirts instead of the cute polo shirts I picked out. ("We have to look cool, Mom!")  They got a cookie in their lunches.  And they came home happy.  Hallelujah!

I could wax nostalgic and tell you how emotional this has been for me, but I really don't want to get myself started all over again.  Believe me, it isn't pretty.  So instead, I'll tell you how emotional this has been for the dog.

That's right, you read that correctly.  The dog is having a really rough time with all this.  Yesterday was a perfect Seattle day.  Problem was, this is Virginia, and I don't like grey, rainy days.  Neither does Mayo.  So when we headed out to the bus stop - after putting on new sneakers and sweatshirts (seriously? Sweatshirts on September 8?  I wasn't thrilled.) - Mayo decided not to come.  She was not going to step foot out in such wet weather.  So we left her home.  Poor Mayo.  She sat in the front window and saw the bus come and go.  As I came up the porch steps I could hear my dog already crying.  And the crying continued ALL DAY LONG.  Literally.  She wandered the house, crying.  She laid down on the hard floor - never on her beds - crying.  She poked me, pushed me, and tried to sit on me, crying.  It was a rough day.  She was not ready to send those puppies out into the big bad world without her!  

I had to agree.  I wasn't ready for that either.  But like I said, we're not going to discuss my reaction today.  It may or may not have been pretty similar to the dog's...

Finally, at about 2:00 yesterday afternoon, Mandisa conked out.  All that worry really takes it's toll on a dog, and she fell into a deep - albeit fitful - sleep.  But then, at 4:00 ON THE DOT, she bounced up and raced for the door.  Then she raced back to get me.  See, I hadn't said a word.  I hadn't even put my shoes on or anything.  But Mandisa knew those boys were on their way home.  She practically dragged me out the door, which really wasn't that hard to do, since I'd been counting the seconds all day, myself!

And what a happy reunion we all had!  It was so wonderful to have those boys back home.  I was almost as excited as Mayo.  Almost.


Cailean said...

Wow, what a sweet dog you have. That must have been so hard! It was a hard first day for me but nothing like Elizabeth's first day!!!

Johnsons of Haymarket said...

I can't imagine being left all alone all day. How did you manage? I'm sure it will get easier, I'm glad they both got great teachers, that makes all the difference.

Belkycita said...

I have been so sleep deprived I cried when I read it. Just in case you didn't ;-)
I am sure Victoria is going to be so sad when Elena leaves in a few weeks. Oh dear, I might as well set up the pool and just cry inside of it. After all, I'm sure it is hard to get so much water in this desert!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...