Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shoe Shopping


As many of you may know, Camden has a bit of a tactile issue.  He doesn't like tags in his clothes.  To be honest, he doesn't like to wear clothes at all.  He also doesn't like to feel sticky.  But his most severe tactile issues seem to be with his feet.  If you've been around Camden, you've probably heard him start crying, "tighten!"  He constantly wants us to tighten his shoes.  Then, a few minutes later you'll here, "My foot itches!"  What he really means is, "My foot is asleep."  And we can all see how that might happen, given the fact that his shoes are cutting off all circulation to those cute little toes.  Camden doesn't see the connection.  As was evidenced yesterday on our shoe-shopping expedition.
See, both boys were in desperate need of new sneakers.  So we took a little family outing to the shoe store, where Jake happily chose his first pair of laced sneakers.  Now if he can learn to tie them, I might be as happy as he is.  Camden, on the other hand, was not so happy.  None of the shoes were tight enough.  Know why?  Because they actually fit.  He begged us to get him a smaller size so they would be tighter.  Okay, maybe I'm a really mean mom, but I just couldn't do it.  I kept having images of those Chinese ladies with their bound feet.  Sorry kid, but I'm not going to carry you around for the rest of your life because your shoes were too tight as a child.  Instead, I carried him out of the store because he couldn't walk in the shoes we bought.  The shoes that, I promise, fit perfectly.

Now I'm off to find pictures of those Chinese ladies' bound feet.  Yep, I'm resorting to scare-tactics.

6 comments:

Belkycita said...

WOW!
and I thought I was hard a buying shoes!

Cailean said...

Elijah is the same way! He is so finicky about his shoes. His most recent pair are velcro since I thought they'd be easier than his tie ones (with those he had to have them tied a certain way with the laces not touching his socks OR ELSE!!). But he is just as picky about how tight they are velcroed on. These boys!!! So cute though :)

Laura Oler said...

That's funny. Alicia is in the the "I only wear rubber rain boots or crocks" stage. Katia went through it too. But it sure makes it easy for me! Did you find some good pictures? I found some on wikipedia after reading a book about footbinding. They scared me!

Owner said...

Porter's picky about shoes, but only visually. If he doesn't like the look of a shoe, he won't let us near him. Textile is much harder to deal with, I'm sure.

Jen said...

Problem solved! We showed Camden some pictures of Chinese foot binding and now whenever we put on his shoes he reminds us not to tighten them too tight so his feet don't get broken like that. Thank you old Chinese ladies! I owe you one!

Alicia said...

Thanks for the laugh Jen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...